Upcoming Events at Options
1. Free Wheelchair Wash - Friday, September 21
2. Stepping On Falls Prevention Class - Starts September 25
3. Caregiver Learning Session - Friday, November 2
1. Free Wheelchair Wash at Options on Friday, September 21. On Friday, September 21, 2018 The Knights of Columbus Council 617 and Options for Independent Living are hosting a FREE “Wheelchair Wash." There will not be a safety check, just a “Wash." The event will be held at Options (555 Country Club Rd, Green Bay) in the back parking lot connected to Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Parking Lot G. The “Wash" begins at 9:00 a.m. and will run until 11:30 am. Light refreshments will be provided.
Reservations for the “Wash" are not necessary, but appreciated. Individuals who need help transferring are asked to bring an attendant. For more information or to make reservations, please call Options for Independent Living at (920) 490-0500 or toll- free at (888) 465-1515.
2. Do You Have a Fear of Falling? Options is Hosting a Stepping On Class Starting September 25th. Do you have concerns about falling? Are balance issues affecting your mobility? Join us at Options for Independent Living for a fun, interactive seven week course that is proven to help prevent falls! It is for people with disabilities or those who are aging and have fallen, have a fear of falling, or want to avoid falling. Class leaders bring in local experts to cover the following topics:
A Physical Therapist will attend three of the seven classes to demonstrate, practice, and review strength and balance exercises, along with how to get up from a fall, how to walk safely, how to use a cane, and how to link exercises to functions of daily living. In addition, the therapist will identify home, clothing, and footwear hazards; A Community Safety Expert explains environmental and home safety hazards; A Vision Expert discusses how vision can change and devices to help with vision loss; A Pharmacist talks about medication risks known to cause falls; And, you will gain strategies and learn about helpful devices to reduce your risk for falls. When is this happening? Tuesday afternoons this fall, starting September 25. The classes continue on October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and November 6. Classes start at 1:00 pm and last until 3 pm. The cost is only $10. Contact Stacie Scheibe at 920-393-1050 for more information. Hurry…registration deadline is Friday, September 14.
3. Friday, November 2nd, Options is Hosting “Caregiver Resources and Strategies" Learning Session. November is National Family Caregiver Awareness month. In conjunction with the Brown County Caregiver Coalition, Options will host a free learning session for caregivers and those they care for entitled “Caregiver Resources and Strategies." This free session will take place at Options for Independent Living, 555 Country Club Road, Green Bay, from 1:00 pm—2:30 pm on Friday, November 2nd.
The session will cover a brief overview of Options services. Then you will take a tour of Options Accessible Showcase Model Home and explore how to adapt your home environment with assistive technology to increase the quality of life for those you are care for on a daily basis. Whether it's a barrier free shower, a medication monitoring system, an amplified phone, or a simple app to assist with daily chores, you will see how using technology can modify your caregiving strategies in a beneficial way. Registration for this session is not mandatory, but appreciated, as space is limited. To register, or for more information, please contact Stacie Scheibe, Independent Living Coordinator, at 920-393-1050.